Saturday, September 29, 2012

background

For those who don't know, Mike and I started our journey to try to get pregnant in September 2010. After so many years of trying to prevent, it was definitely weird to not be using any birth control whatsoever. In February of this year, I finally decided to talk to my doctor about not being pregnant yet. She referred me to a gynecologist who referred me to a Reproductive Endocrinologist ("RE" - aka fertility specialist). He ran a bunch of different tests and determined that putting me on medication was the best course of action. He likes to start with the least invasive procedures first.

The first month on medication (50mg Clomid), it was just oral tablets taken 5 days at the beginning of my cycle. The next month, same dosage of medication with adding in a trigger shot to force my body to ovulate. When that didn't work, I got an official diagnosis of being infertile and had a test to make sure that my tubes are clear (which they are). Luckily MA requires health insurance to cover fertility treatments and we met the health insurance requirements to cover our initial screening.

At the end of July, we qualified for our insurance to cover intrauterine insemination ("IUI" - aka artificial insemination). I was all set to start taking my next round of Clomid at the beginning of August when a cyst was discovered on one of my ovaries left over from June's medicated cycle. Since Clomid stimulates the ovaries, it can also make cysts grow at the same time and there is the potential for damage if ones gets too big. Luckily, by the beginning of September, it had decreased enough that I could start my Clomid and have my IUI.

So right now I'm just waiting to go in for my blood pregnancy test and trying not to drive myself too crazy.
------
I am not going to be posting much about our pregnancy journey on Facebook or Google+ as I don't want to accidentally over inundate someone who is struggling to conceive by tons of pregnancy related posts and pictures. I know what that feels like and I don't want to do that to someone else.

Feel free to ask any questions about the whole process. I'll answer pretty much anything.

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment